Aging is a natural process. With a little help, however, we can age more gracefully with medically approved treatments and improved skin care. Our face ages depending on how well we care for our skin as well as genetic factors. Factors that accelerate our aging face include sun exposure, pollution, stress, smoking, excessive alcohol and lack of skin care.
Signs of aging:
1. Our skin color becomes less rosy from less blood flow.
2. Our upper face tends to droop as muscle, collagen, and fat decrease.
3. Our lower face gains fat which creates a bagginess around the chin and in the neck.
4. Wrinkles appear from years of facial expressions daily creasing our skin.
5. Our skin texture becomes less smooth with less new cell production and less old cell shedding.
How to improve an aging face:
1. A healthy diet certainly shows on your skin. Moisturize your skin from within! Green leafy vegetables & foods packed with omega-3 fatty acids, such as avocados and salmon, are great for your skin. You are what you eat!
2. Exercising regularly helps to increase blood circulation to your skin, making it look healthier.
3. Get a good night sleep. Healthy sleeping habits are good for you as well as for your skin.
4. Quit smoking! Smoking decreases the blood flow to your skin.
5. Avoid prolonged sun exposure and use sunscreen daily when you are exposed to the sun's rays.
6. Wash your face every night before going to bed, and during the day after a work out.
7. Exfoliate your skin daily with a product that doesn't irritate your skin.
8. Moisturize with products containing Vitamin A, retinol or a stronger prescription strength tretinoin. These can increase collagen synthesis and help with discoloration by peeling away the superficial layer of skin. Consider anti-aging creams with ingredients such as Vitamin C, hydroxy acids and co-enzyme Q.
9. Botulinum toxin (Neuromodulator) injections: BoTox, Jeaveau, Xeomin, and Dysport are different brands of botulinum toxin. They are used to partially immobilize the muscles that form our expression lines in the forehead, between the brows, crows feet, chin, and neck. Results from Botox treatments are seen in 5-7 days.
10. Dermal fillers: These are used to treat lines created by lost collagen and fat. The most common dermal fillers are Juvederm and Restylane which contain hyaluronic acid. The results from fillers are seen immediately.
11. Microneedling: This is designed to boost collagen production, improve skin texture and soften wrinkles. Microneedling requires a healing process and may require a maintenance program.
12. PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) is a natural product that also takes time and requires the healing process to take place. PRP uses your body's own natural healing process to encourage collagen formation. PRP isolates the platelets from your blood which are then re-injected under your skin. Your platelets contain growth factors which signals your body to heal and encourage collagen formation in the areas of your face that need it.
Book online or call today and make your appointment to see what treatments are right for you!